Our core commitments
- We respect the values of Tdh • We respect our institutional framework
- We act honestly and ethically • We are responsible to the staff
- We work to protect children • We use the IT equipment responsibly
- We condemn all forms of sexual abuse • We carry out our activities diligently
- We respect the principle of non-discrimination • We respect the environment
- We respect the dignity of those we work with. • We work with trustworthy partners
- Any violation of the rights of the child, including the child’s physical and mental integrity and safety, is prohibited. Abuse, ill-treatment, and exploitation of children are prohibited.
- Abusive, especially physical, psychological, sexual or economic, behaviour against children, members of the beneficiary communities, staff or any person with whom Tdh has relations is prohibited.
- Children are particularly vulnerable. In accordance with our mandate and values, any sexual relations, and any other sexual activity with a child under the age of 18 is prohibited, regardless of the age of sexual consent in the country where the programme is implemented.
Not knowing the child’s actual age is not a defence. This prohibition shall also apply to pornographic activities.
- It is strongly recommended to avoid sexual relations between the humanitarian personnel and our direct beneficiaries or members of the communities in which we work who have reached the age of 18, given the power dynamics generating inherent inequalities; Such relations undermine the credibility and the integrity of the humanitarian work.
- Exchange of money, employment, goods, or services for sexual favours is prohibited. Any form of humiliating, degrading or exploitative behaviour is prohibited; This prohibition also includes conditioning of the assistance due to the beneficiaries.
- Any collaboration with people, groups or organizations related to trafficking in drugs, firearms or human beings – including prostitution, even if it is legalized in the beneficiary state – is prohibited, as well as the collaboration with any other criminal activity.
- Any direct or indirect discrimination based on ethnicity, colour, caste, religion or belief, status, origin or nationality, political views, sex, sexual orientation, disability or age against any person involved in Tdh activities is prohibited.
- Each employee, partner or volunteer is expected to abide by the internal rules of Tdh.
- The computer equipment of Tdh shall be used in compliance with the rules for their operation.
- The collection and processing of personal and/or sensitive data regarding the beneficiaries, the community members, the donors, the partners and any other stakeholders shall be done in compliance with the legislation, the internal rules and the principles of proportionality and confidentiality.
- When carrying out the activities, the natural resources shall be used with due care, contributing thus to reduce the negative impact on the environment and minimizing the use of environmentally harmful substances.
This General Code of Conduct is complemented by a number of specific rules that apply to all employees, volunteers, and partners. They are responsible for keeping up to date with the latest versions of these documents.
The whistleblowing procedure
The successful implementation of this General Code of Conduct depends on the individual and collective responsibility of all Tdh employees. Any suspected or confirmed breach of this Code of Conduct shall be reported as soon as possible to a superior or to the e-mail address for reporting concerns: concern@Tdh.ch
The whistle-blowers shall be protected: under any circumstances, they shall not be fired, demoted, or discriminated against for reporting the breach of one of the principles of this Code of Conduct. The confidentiality of all parties will be respected throughout the procedure.
My commitments as an employee, representative or volunteer of Terre des hommes Foundation
- I agree to respect and promote the human rights without any discrimination and to treat with respect and dignity the communities where Tdh works, in accordance with the international rules and with the ethical values and principles of the organization.
- I am aware that I am compelled to always have an exemplary conduct and fully comply with the rules established by this General Code of Conduct.
- I understand that any form of abuse, whether mental, physical, sexual, or economic, will be subject to a disciplinary action.
- I will prove to be trustworthy by acting transparently and responsibly.
- I will act professionally, in compliance with the principles of quality, efficiency and good management, when carrying out the activities. I will abide by my mandate and carefully use the assets entrusted to me. I will not gain any personal benefit, either directly or indirectly, from my work. Therefore, I will declare any interest that may be problematic.
- I agree to report any concerns or suspicions regarding the breach of this Code of Conduct by an individual who works for Tdh or a partner organization.
- I understand that confidentiality shall be strictly respected and that I will not face any retaliation for reporting such concerns or suspicions.